Sunday, April 22, 2007

Angola Rodeo

Went to the Angola Rodeo today and bought two paintings from inmates. One is a folk art piece and another is a bit surreal. I'll post pictures of them when I get around to taking decent pics of them, along with the artist information. Then, there was the rodeo.

At one point they had three monkeys dressed like cowboys riding three dogs that herded a group of rams around the pen and then finally into their truck. Along with the bull poker round where the inmates would sit at the table as the bull would circle and ultimately ram the players. The last man sitting would win. It was quite a day.

We topped it off by going to Middendorff's for catfish. It was Emilie's first time there and her first time eating hush-puppies. Ah, I hadn't been there in a while and I forgot how good their catfish is. The nearest comparison in the civilized Louisiana world that had catfish was Barrow's near the Holly Grove area of New Orleans. I don't believe they have re-opened since our dreaded Katrina, but I look forward to the day when they do. And then there's the sweet tea super secret recipe.

The End

No comments: