Sunday, January 28, 2007

Tax Time

One of the greatest cons in all history is the modern American tax system. It is the only place where you can spend $5,000 and get credit for spending $1,000. In looking at my current state of taxes, it amazes me how many things could count as credit and how many things don't. You can write off certain medical claims, but not others. You get credit for paying interest on other things, but nothing for the actual purchase, which is far more expensive.
I would love to do a story on the true cost of democracy. Governments have three major roles in the basis of a society: civil defense, domestic tranquility and economic justice. How much does it cost to provide just those three things? I won't be cheap. I'll be willing to give old Uncle Sam is infrared, heat-seeking sidewinder missles and his expanded SEC.

No comments: